Dunbeholden striker shot dead
Dunbeholden FC will have to reorganise their plans for the 2020-21 Red Stripe Premier League season as the man they have been planning to build the team around, Shemar Nairne, was killed in Greenwich Town on Wednesday.
It is reported that Nairne was part of a group in the aforementioned community late in the evening when gunmen showed up and fired shots at them.
Six people were injured in the attack while Nairne and another person died. The other four are in hospital.
The news of Nairne's death has left Dunbeholden team manager Paul Christie in a befuddled state as, according him, it was only last week that the management team of the club was discussing plans to build the team around the striker and a few other players.
"He was a main part of the discussion as to the direction that we want to take the club because he has a natural eye for goal," Christie said. "He showed the right attitude and the coach loved him and he was definitely one for the future."
The 21-year-old joined Dunbeholden in January after having short stints with Harbour View FC and Vere United.
"He is from Portmore and that is one of the reasons he came to Dunbeholden, because he wanted to come back home," Christie said.
Nairne was a resident of the Southboro community in Portmore.